Sunday, March 16, 2008

Short Writing...



Shorts versus Features...
I've tried my hand at short writing and have found that I prefer features. I want to have the ability to thoroughly explain a subject and then add my own images. Yes, I am a photojournalist and an experienced reporter.

I supposed I was "spoiled" at the beginning of my professional career because I had the opportunity to work as a general assignment reporter for small rural papers where "general" meant I did just about everything, but definitely both writing and shooting my own pieces. When I did a stint at the Medford Mail Tribune I was confined to writing exclusively and I often ground my teeth to see the images the photog assigned to my pieces came up with. Why? Because I thought I could do better. I saw things differently as the writer of the piece. And I had an image portfolio to prove I could shoot. I don't know why they wouldn't let me shoot my own images other than maybe it was some kind of union issue.

So, about writing "shorts" versus features - I choose features and book length projects. I think I'll leave the "short writing" to those organizational writing "whiz kids" who have the patience for it. I don't. I supposed I better get my ass in gear and do that then, eh?

Archiving...
I'm in the process of creating an archive for my writing over the past 24 years. I have an image gallery set up (link to the right). Need to spend some time populating that an my writing archive.

1 comment:

R*J said...

shari I have pix of Brandon at the trinity wildfire how can I post the on his site or do I send them to you? R*J

America's Distorted World View

Jill Bolte Taylor's Powerful Stroke of Insight...

I'm with Fred...

I'm with Fred...

Fred Thompson on the Economy

Esalen ~ Dedicated to manifesting a more humane World